The Workforce Development Board (WDB) is comprised of individuals who represent business, economic development, education, labor and community organizations. They work in close partnership with the Stark and Tuscarawas County Commissioners and the Mayor of Canton, Ohio in planning, administering and overseeing workforce development programs funded under the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), enacted in 2014, is the federal legislation under which public workforce development programs are conducted. WIOA is intended to serve all job seekers and employers offering a universal service model.
The Workforce Development Board aids area businesses by serving as a community workforce development catalyst, promoting not only a strong economic development effort, but also to support our community’s capacity to meet the challenges of a high productivity workplace. This is accomplished by assuring that education and employment opportunities are well planned and supported by the private sector; are well coordinated within the community; afford ease of access; are of high quality; and demonstrate an acceptable return on taxpayer investment.
In 2006, the Board created the Workforce Investment Council, a 501c3, to seek grants and other private funding to enhance and expand workforce development activities in Stark and Tuscarawas counties.
STARK TUSCARAWAS WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT BOARD MEMBERS
OFFICERS AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
- WDB Chair, David M. Wheeler, American Electric Power
- WDB Vice Chair, Darwin Smith, Union Hospital
- WDB Treasurer, Brad McKain, Marathon Petroleum Company
- WDB Secretary, Tim Beauch, Aultman Health Foundation
- WDB Executive Director, Jennifer Meek Eells
- Burley, Joseph, Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company
- Davis, Terri, Ohio Billing, Inc.
- Eadon, Jr., Harry, The Economic Development & Finance Alliance of Tuscarawas County
- Forkas, Deborah, Stark County Job and Family Services
- Hackenbracht, Nate, Buckeye Career Center
- Herncane, Ted, Massillon Area Chamber of Commerce
- Jones, Para, Stark State College
- Kerns, Alison, Harcatus Tri-County C.A.O., Inc.
- Larman, William, Allied Machine and Engineering
- Locke, Mark, Alliance Chamber of Commerce
- Manheim, Marc, Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities
- Moore, William, Ohio Department of Job and Family Services
- Moss, Rick, Iron Workers Local 550 Canton
- Robinson, Scott, Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce
- Sciury, Daniel, HOF Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO
- Sekely, Joseph, Architect
- Smer, Eric, Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Waltz, Robin, United Way of Tuscarawas County
- LOCAL ELECTED OFFICIALS
- Mayor of the City of Canton, Ohio
- Thomas M. Bernabei
- Stark County Commissioners
- Janet Weir Creighton
- Richard Regula
- Bill Smith
- Tuscarawas County Commissioners
- Kerry Metzger, Local Elected Officials Chair
- Chris Abbuhl
- Joe Sciarretti